Sunday, December 23, 2012

From Sydney to Cairns

Ok, it was rather ambitious of me to say three posts in one week.  One post every three weeks is far more feasible...anywho!

As mentioned in "Jumping into the Unknown" my good friend, Sean, came to Australia in September and I was able to take two weeks off and get in some Aussie travel time with him! 

The adventure started in Sydney where we met at the airport.  It was so surreal!  Here we are in Australia together!  Last time we saw each other was in Kelowna almost one year ago. It's one of those things that makes life and travel so magical. 
Ponderosa Way reunion!  Travis and I.

In Sydney, we stayed with an old neighbour of mine (and I'm talking back to the Merritt days circa 1990's neighbour), Travis.  Trav graciously opened his home (and let his inner tour guide shine) for a couple days while Sean and I explored the touristy places like Bondi Beach, Manly, and of course, Sydney Harbour.  Funny enough, a great memory of Sydney is actually a film we watched: Red Dog.  It's based on a true story and those who know me, know that any film that portrays the unconditional love that animals give will be one of my faves (and bring me to tears).

From Sydney, Sean and I rented a campervan and started heading north.  We stopped in Newcastle to catch the sunset and stretch our legs before carrying on for a couple more hours and eventually finding a rest stop to set up shop for the night.

Hi there!

The next day we continued on to Byron Bay where we would spend a couple of nights.  But before getting into Byron we stopped at a wildlife park.  This was not my first encounter with Australian wildlife, however; in June, a couple mates and I took a trip down the Great Ocean Road where a giant red kangaroo almost took us out while driving!  Thanks Pants for great reaction time!

The sanctuary was lovely though and we got to feed little 'roos, view some wombats (so cute!), koalas, dingos, and other Australian wildlife.  It was a nice break from driving and I could have hung out with the 'roos all day!  Alas we carried on.

One of my absolute favourite things to do is to eat fresh fish and chips on the beach and that is exactly what we did when we rolled into Byron.  The next day consisted nothing but lounging on the beach, catching some rays and sipping some bevies.


After relaxation in Byron we headed to the digusting party town of Surfer's Paradise.  Don't let the name mislead you.  Surfer's does have beaches but the town itself is full of sloppy and drunk travellers which to me makes it rather disgusting.  But who am I to judge! I might have consumed a bit of wobbly pops that evening myself (when in Rome?) and had a blast at a pub that featured a live band playing all those classic cover tunes that we know and love so much.  I might have also had a dance-off with some dude to It's Like That which he afterwards said, "I've never been shamed like that on the dance floor!"  Yeah, that's right.  Little did he know that when he challenged me to dance-off with him that this Canadian has Ukrainian dance moves rolled up her sleeve - always winning moves! 

Outdoor climbing park at Kangaroo Point, Brisbane. 
Our next stop was Brissie (aka Brisbane) where we stayed with my friend, Gareth. Brissie consisted of drinks, food, museums, hot tubs, rock climbing and tight-rope walking.  It's always nice to catch up with friends and just hang out.  And who knew Brisbane had a fantastic park right in the city featuring climbing cliffs and just chilled out people.

Finally, it was time to fly up to Cairns where the first thing on the agenda was the skydive jump; as I have said before, unreal! 

The following day it was time to head out for an overnight trip to the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) aboard the Rum Runner.  The Rum Runner is a 20m sailboat (motor included) owned by Richard.  It's a small company but with that comes fantastic service and a wonderful experience. 

All the guests and the crew of the Rum Runner.
Sean and I were joined by three German girls and a Belgian guy and a British bloke.  It was a bit of a drizzly morning which meant gorgeous weather out on the Reef.  We all sat together as we had introductions to Rum Runner team, the boat, snorkelling and diving.  Things were going well for about an hour (it took about three to get to the Reef) but then I could see a few gills getting a little green, including mine.  Now I may be the daughter of a fisherman but apparently that means nothing when it comes to sea sickness.  Most of us sat and stared at the horizon as we rode the waves.  The only chipper one seemed to be Sean!

It wasn't long after that one of the German girls coughed her cookies, followed immediately by her friend, followed immediately by Dries (the Belgian).  How I did not follow suit, I'm not sure but I just sat at the stern, hugged my legs tight to my chest, stared out in the distance, and focused on my breathing.

We finally made it to the Reef and getting motivated was difficult after feeling so gross; alas, it was a gorgeous day and shit(!), we're at the GBR!!  So in I went (snorkelling) to check out the creatures that call the GBR home.  Simply beautiful.

In my last post I talked a bit about fear and trying to overcome it.  Well one of my greatest fears is actually diving. Something about relying on apparatus to breathe and being 10 metres under water.  Unfortunately, I could not get past the fear.  In combination with feeling slightly ill, choppy waters and the internal battle I was already having with myself, I couldn't bring myself to do it.  However, I have decided that I will start my diving experience in a pool where I can practice techniques and then move it to the open water.  I will overcome this fear!   Anywho, over the two days, we moved around to different areas on the Reef to explore.  It really was incredible seeing all those tropical fish and I really was quite content just snorkelling around. 

When we returned to dry land on day two, we stayed in touch with Dries and he became a travel buddy for Sean after I returned to Melbs.  Over the next couple of days we were real bums in Cairns.  "Beach" (I put beach in quotes because it is a man-made lagoon in Cairns), food, beverages, dancing, sleep and repeat.  It was actually quite strange to be in that 'backpacker mode' again.  These days my idea of travelling is really immersing myself in the culture, forming relationships with locals, just really finding and experiencing the authenticity of a city and a country.  However, I still had a blast just relaxing and hanging out with travellers. 

For one of those days in Cairns, Dries, Sean and I took a day trip to Port Douglas and Mossman Gorge (in the Daintree Rainforest); it was a lovely escape to nature for the day.  We also visited Hartley's Crocodile Park along the way where we learned about these amazing (and frightening) creatures. Be croc-wise people!

Anyway, that about sums up my two-week adventure.  It was really nice to throw the ol' backpack over the shoulder again.  Australia is a beautiful country and I have only seen a bit of it.  I look forward to more Aussie adventures in the year to come!


The iconic Opera House.


There was a plane flying around the harbour writing things in the air so I thought I would take advantage of the situation and show my angelic side ;)
"Hey Fred, quite they day, eh?"  This is all I kept thinking.  Two birds hanging out in the harbour watching the boats coming in and out...I think I've watched too much Nemo.
Sydney Harbour Bridge.
 

Sydney skyline - on the ferry to Manly.



Harbour Bridge from the other side near Luna Park.
 
Luna Park entrance - not as frightening as the one in Melbourne.
 

Bondi Beach.

Surfers at Bondi.

Sean chattin' up a Sydney Fire Captain.

Newcastle Lighthouse at dusk.

A little dancer in front of the setting sun. Newcastle.

A Rainbow Lorikeet (I do believe - correct me if I am wrong!)

A little Joey popping out of momma's pouch!

Feeding momma and her joey.

This one can't get enough!
Byron Bay by day.

Byron Bay by dusk.

This little one reminded me of Red Dog!  What a sweetie.
Relaxing in a Brisbane park with a good book and a bevie.  Such a life!
Brissie.
The outdoor park at Kangaroo Point, Brisbane.
Sean belaying Gareth.
Because why wouldn't I try walking on a slack line?!
The magnificent Great Barrier Reef.
Taking in the sights, smells and sounds...feeling better it seems. 
Snorkelling!
Duuuude, it's Crushhhh!  So cool swimming with a sea turtle!

This picture could be one of my faves. Sean captured this moment after dinner (or for some, a few bites of food here and there). Sea sickness at its finest. 
En route to Port Douglas and Mossman Gorge.


Hartley's Crocodile Park.

Frightening!
Croc foot!  I have to say I like these feet more than 'Crocs' shoes.
Jumpin' Jesus!  They all come out of the woodworks for feeding time.

Cruisin' together.
Flippin' terrifying!
Dries and I munching on BBQ'd prawns (in Port Douglas).
The beach in Port Douglas.

Sean cooling off at Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest.

Such a serene spot!
Nature is beautiful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment